Re: integer times

From: Roger M. Burkhart
Subject: Re: integer times
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 1996 16:43:23 -0600

> Also, at least from my point of view, SWARM really needs some way to allow
> floating point times for those of us who do asynchronous event
> simulations.  Roger and I talked about one possibility.  This was to have
> a primary schedule based on an integer and a sub-schedule that would be
> indexed by the integer value and contain the fractional part of the
> schedule.  Is this in the future of SWARM?

Yes, this is the intended solution for the future.  It's not in the
present, but it's required capability for the general release version of
Swarm, in my opinion.  It's not hard to do either, it's just that other
things have taken precedence (not enough bits in available time, I guess).
One thing we don't plan to do is use floats or doubles as time values
(arithmetic doesn't come out close enough), but the multi-level time
option can give a wide enough range, as we discussed.

Your crash is a case of simple overflow, working as programmed, though it
is reaching full unsigned int capacity (time 4.25 billion).  If you can
work around this limit for a couple more weeks or so, other things in
progress should be cleaned up well enough that activity will be opened up
for changes again.  That's what I've been waiting for.  If it's more urgent
than that, I can always open it up for some sort of special interim patch.

Glad to hear the scheduler runs fast in your testing.  Trouble is,
it doesn't make the development any shorter :-)

Roger Burkhart