Re: integer times

From: Nelson Minar
Subject: Re: integer times
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 96 16:12:25 MST

>At system time 4.25 billion (my time 425,000),
>the BLT graph crashed with a message of x axis overflow.  I assume
>that this is because the X axis (time) only handles signed ints.

Unsigned, but yeah. Actually, the BLT graph code itself handles
floating point numbers - the problem is that ActiveGraph by default
just uses the current scheduler's idea of time and that's overflowing.
At least, I think so.

You could easily subclass swarmobject/ActiveGraph.m and override the
step method to do some sort of scaling of the X axis. Don't be afraid
to do that, it's why Swarm is OO in the first place :-)

>PS  I was curious as to how much overhead the SWARM scheduler added to my
>simulation.  I made an extreamly simple scheduler and ran them
>against each other in my model.  First one to 2,000,000 events wins.
>You'll be happy to know that the race was a draw!

cool! Swarm schedule execution was made to be as fast as
possible. When we made speed tradeoffs, it was in building the
schedule, not executing it. I'd be curious to see a comparison between
some handrolled thing that handled schedule insertions on the fly and
Swarm's version. I think there's still some room for Swarm to improve
the schedule data structures, too.