Re: Swarm on alpha

From: Roger Burkhart
Subject: Re: Swarm on alpha
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 96 15:41:47 MDT

> Dear Swarm developers:
> I tried to compile swarm on a DEC alpha machine. Aside from numerous warnings
> arising fromt he default word problem. I got a fatal error in defobj cluster
> Symbol.m program. It's inthe printMessage function and the apparent error
> is implicit declaration of function `__builtin_isfloat' followed by parse
> errors. I suspect it's a problem with the va_list thing. I have had similar
> problems with va_list before. I wonder if any of you have any solutions.
> Thank you very much.
> Sen Song
> Avida Group, Caltech

As far as I know Swarm on DEC alpha is new territory for us, though we did
do some limited testing early on to make sure we weren't making any fatal
portability assumptions.  We use the standard ANSI varargs support and
haven't seen compile errors like yours on any other machine architecture.
If you've seen errors like these before it would be good to find out
what it took to solve or work around the problems before.  Eventually we
can work with you to understand how to make Swarm compile and run on the
64-bit architecture of the alpha and exactly how the machine model works,
since I don't think we have access to one otherwise.

Roger Burkhart