swarm visions

From: Beemer
Subject: swarm visions
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 15:11:52 -0600

While you're working on the latest swarm releases: A friend of mine
mentioned this while I was demoing heatbugs and such.  There are
certain probe fields that you can't modify meaningfully after a
certain point in the program's run.  For instance, after you've
started runninng heatbugs, you can't change the WorldXSize and
WorldYSize (without writing acres of code).  It is apparently (he
claims) fairly easy to toggle the Tk fields so that you can't modify
certain ones, and from a user-interface point of view, it seems like
it would be clever to make it so you can only use your mouse and
keyboard to change things that are changeable.

Certainly, it seems that anything you set in a modelSwarm before you
call createEnd is going to be a constant throughout the run, and so
should be locked-out of user changes once createEnd has been called.

Are there technical or design hurdles with regard to doing this kind
of thing?  It seems like a small thing, but I could imagine it having
a lot of impact once people are passing simulations around to other
users...

        --Seth McGinnis