getting input from human-agents via swarm/tkObjc

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: getting input from human-agents via swarm/tkObjc
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 17:51:45 -0500 (EST)

Here is something i'd like to do:
I have a model with some agents, embedded in a simple schedule
roughly like

  foreach T
       foreach agent
           make a choice
           do something based on the choice
       endfor
  endfor

What I'd like to be able to do is have some of
these agents choices be input by users sitting at
different displays, so they can interact in the world
with the other computer run agents, but not see
what the other humans are doing.

I know in wish how to put windows up on various displays,
eg, using the toplevel -screen option.
What I don't know is a good or even ok way to integrate
this with swarm.   at least two issues I can think of
(being very naive about all this):
- is there a way to tell swarm to put the widgets it
  offers (via the Widget base class) on different screens)?
  (or maybe some not-too-hard subclassing approach?)
- how do I handle focus, etc?
  how do I get the swarm agent that is supposed to
  get a value from a human input to wait until that
  input arrives (from some other screen)?

I guess there are many approaches, more or less kludgy.
(I settle for a simple kludge if it works.)

Has anyone tried anything like this?
Or have any ideas even if not tried it?

thanks!
 - r

Rick Riolo                       address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
1061 Randall Lab     University of Michigan
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
http://pscs.physics.lsa.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html