submissions: 1D space and Shuffler

From: Theodore C. Belding
Subject: submissions: 1D space and Shuffler
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 1996 19:09:51 -0500

Hi-
I've submitted a set of objects that implement a 1D space to the
user-contrib ftp area:
ftp://ftp.santafe.edu/pub/swarm/users-contrib/anarchy
The filename is Grid1d.tar.gz (it's currently in the incoming directory).
I've included a copy of the README file, below.

Last week I also submitted a Shuffler object that implements Knuth's
algorithm for permuting a list of objects randomly, in place.  It's
available at the above URL, under the filename shuffler.tar.gz.
-Ted

Grid1d and related files README

by Theodore C. Belding
CAR Group (Michael Cohen, Robert Axelrod, and Rick Riolo)
University of Michigan Program for the Study of Complex Systems
<mailto:address@hidden>
<http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~streak/>

November 17, 1996

These files implement a 1D space.  The files have been updated, but
not fully tested, for Swarm 961002.  These objects were
made by removing the y coordinate from the corresponding 2D objects.
For display, use the normal 2D ZoomRaster object, using time as the
y-coordinate (as in a 1D CA).  Probing is supported by having
Object1dDisplay accept "-makeProbeAtX: (int) x Y: (int) y" messages but
ignore the y coordinate.  Note that this implies that mouse clicks
on any line of the ZoomRaster will create a probe of the *current*
object at that x coordinate.  This also suggests another way to
implement a 1D lattice: use a normal 2D lattice with y as a time
coordinate, and copy the row of agents to the next row, at each time
step.  Another option for display would be to write a 1D ZoomRaster.

Copyright (C) 1996 The Regents of the University of Michigan. These
files are distributed under the GNU Library General Public License.

--
Ted Belding                      <mailto:address@hidden>