Re: linker problem

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: linker problem
Date: Wed, 20 Nov 1996 12:10:02 -0700

> </home/cuvelier/Swarm/heatbugs>trinidad<cuvelier>: make
> gcc -L../swarm/lib -L/usr/openwin/lib -L/opt/softs/gnu/lib -g  -o heatbugs
> Heatbug.o HeatSpace.o main.o HeatbugModelSwarm.o HeatbugObserverSwarm.o
> HeatbugBatchSwarm.o -lspace -lanalysis -lsimtools -ltkobjc -lactivity
> -lrandom -lswarmobject -lcollections -ldefobj -ltclobjc -lBLT -ltk -ltcl
> -lXpm -lX11 -lobjc -lm
> Undefined                     first referenced
>  symbol                           in file
> tcl_rcFileName                      /opt/softs/gnu/lib/libtclobjc.a(Tcl.o)
> ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to heatbugs
> make: *** [heatbugs] Error 1

OK.  It seems I've found the problem.  I had assumed that
only the variable name had changed from tcl_RcFileName
to tcl_rcFileName; but, it seems that it is now a Tcl
variable instead of a C variable.

The following change to Tcl.m will get rid of the
tcl_rcFileName unsatisfied reference:

Change:
   #if (TCLVERSIONLT74 == 0)
   #   if (TCLVERSIONGT74 == 1)
   extern char* tcl_rcFileName;
   #   else
   extern char* tcl_RcFileName;
   #   endif

To:
   #if (TCLVERSIONLT74 == 0)
   #   if (TCLVERSIONGT74 == 1)
   #   else
   extern char* tcl_RcFileName;
   #   endif

And change:
   #if (TCLVERSIONGT74 == 1)
     tcl_rcFileName = "~/.wishrc";
   #else

To:
   #if (TCLVERSIONGT74 == 1)
     Tcl_SetVar(interp, "tcl_rcFileName", "~/.wishrc", TCL_GLOBAL_ONLY);
   #else

I'll fix libtclobjc and repackage it.  I have no idea why it
worked on my Linux box.....

glen