Some questions: EZGraph/Dbl2dBuffer

From: lsrjz
Subject: Some questions: EZGraph/Dbl2dBuffer
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 1996 00:28:34 +0000

Hi Guys,

Maybe I've caught you before the weekend?

I've got 2 questions and 1 problem.

Q1: The graph options seem to always have time as the absisca. I would like
to do a phase plot with feeds from X:(pedlist getcount] and Y:[Preylist
getCount]. Is this possible? If so, what is the syntax?

q2: So far I've implemented a predator-prey model using Grid2d. I want to
move onto the double buffered space object. I want birth & death to be
double buffered but movement to be a simple (non-parellel) transition rule.
If I declare the space as dbl-buffered I can handle the birth & death.
However, how do I get the movement rule to work sequentially? Do I set a
pointer to newLattice and use the standard getObject and putObject. If so,
how do I separate the ActionGroup so it parellelizes for birth & death but
does movement sequentially.

Problem: I've been staring at one rotine for ages. The idea is that if a
prey gets eaten then there's a chance that a predator will give birth at the
space occupied by the eaten prey. I check the Von Neuman neighbourhood, add
predators to a hunterQ and randomly choose one of them. I set the (prey)
object as nil and add it to my preyReaperQ. I then send a message to the
predator to 'convertFood' which places a predator at the origonal prey
placement. Every so often I either get an error due to 'Prey not responding
to convertToFood' ie. somehow a prey has got onto my HunterQ OR a
segmentation fault which, from gdb, suggests that hunterQ is empty even
htoufgh it's not. Any suggestions as to a debugging strategy?

Cheers & Best Wishes,
Steve.

 Steve Emsley (address@hidden) +44 (0)1598 753648
         Ecosystems Analysis & Management Group
 University of Warwick,  COVENTRY CV4 7AL,  United Kingdom.