Customize create and probe maps questions

From: Wojtek Kopczuk
Subject: Customize create and probe maps questions
Date: Mon, 02 Dec 1996 19:45:39 -0500

Hello,
I have three questions:

1. first one concerns customizeBegin/customizeEnd
sequence. I wanted to use it to set some features of the
objects (I have many objects of the type to be created)
while leaving the rest to be set during initialization
of the instance (between createBegin and createEnd).
However, unfortunately, I want  to make some checking if
the initialization was correct (say if all the required
attributes were set) in createEnd method (it seems to be the
most suitable place). The problem is that createEnd
is called from customizeEnd - it is certainly
not the end of initialization and in my case it is an error
obviously. I have no idea how to pass it by - to be able
to use both customize methods and to check if initialization
was done correctly. Do I miss something obvious?

To be more specific the initialization sequence for the object
looks then as follows:
//Customization
 customizeBegin -> createBegin is invoked
 customizeEnd -> createEnd is invoked
//Instance creation
 createBegin
 createEnd
so createEnd and createBegin are called twice and first time
creatEnd is invoked is much too early for validation of
 initialization.

Second question concerns method probes and GUI:

2. I have a class that contains a collection. I created a probe
for the method getCount (which sends request getCount to the
collection).
I would like to have this method automatically invoked and its
result displayed when the window representing the object
 appears/is updated. Just not to
make user invoke it manually each time. (I also don't want to
create an artificial attribute where this value would be
stored).  Is it possible? I couldn't find the way.
By the way, is it possible to have attributes
of different objects in the same probe map or in the same window
- it seems that probe map is  created for a particular class,
but it costs nothing to ask :)

3. It is much less important but  I would greatly appreciate
an answer. I use forwarding in one of my classes and every
time I use a method that is forwarded, during compilation
I get a warning: `class' does not respond to `method:' what makes
an output really messy. It certainly doesn't respond to it,
it forwards it... Is there any way to stop it?

Greetings
Wojtek Kopczuk
Wojtek Kopczuk              "There is no third way between
address@hidden       right and wrong"
IGS: wojtek                  Friedrich von Hayek
http://www.econ.lsa.umich.edu/~wojtek