Re: placing graphs & bugdisplays in virtual space

From: Sven Thommesen
Subject: Re: placing graphs & bugdisplays in virtual space
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 1996 22:18:01 -0600

At 12:11 AM 12/18/96 -0700, Manor Askenazi wrote:

>   An involved simulation may create quite a number of windows
>   (probe displays, world/heatspace displays, graphs) when you
>   hit 'go'.
>
>   Is there a way to specify from within a swarm program where
>   on the screen such windows appear, and in what size?
>
>Have you looked at:
>
>  http://www.santafe.edu/projects/swarm/archive/list-archive.9603/0031.html

Manor,

thanks for that reference. I have pursued what was there, and have found this:

the 'Widget' class of object will respond to 'getWindowGeometry' and
'setWindowGeometry' messages.

Further, bug displays are either ZoomRasters or Rasters, which are
subclasses of Widget; graphs (BLTGraph) are subclasses of Widgets; the
Control Panels owns a ButtonPanel which is a Widget and can be accessed with
[[controlPanel getPanel] setWindowGeometry].

Now, the last kind of window is the probe display, which is (ahem) kind of
complex. My question is: for purposes of changing the size and/or position
of the probe display, is the Frame element named 'topLevel' the relevant
widget to be manipulated?

If so, the classes CompleteProbeDisplay and SimpleProbeDisplay both need a
method like -(id) getTopLevelFrame which returns a pointer to the 'topLevel'
data item. Then we can do
[[probeDisplay getTopLevelFrame] setWindowGeometry: str];

Sven