can't do addBug via probes in heatbugs anymore?

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: can't do addBug via probes in heatbugs anymore?
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 22:06:23 -0500 (EST)

Am I right that one can't do the nice little demo
of adding a new heatbug to the heatbugs demo by
a) probe a bug,
b) use mb3 to bring up a probe of that bug with up-class button
c) click up-class to the top object (with copy method)
d) click that copy method to make a copy.
e) drag and drop that copy into the addBug method parameter slot
f) click addBug
(this is from manor's little "probe demo" note of
some time back.

Now if I click that copy in the top level object
I get a core dump after this message:

badger-rlr)*** event raised for error: BlockedObjectAlloc
*** function: _i_Object_s__copy(), file: DefObject.m, line: 487
> Requested operation is defined by the Object superclass of the GNU
> Objective C runtime system, but is blocked from usage because its default
> implementation is incompatible with the model of zone-based allocation
> established by the defobj package.  To allocate, free, or copy objects
> that use the defined model of zone-based allocation, one of the messages
> create:, createBegin:/End, drop, or copy: must be used instead.
*** execution terminating due to error

I guess to be able to do this, one would need
to define a custom copyBug method (which does the createBegin/end)
method in HeatbugObserverSwarm, say, and put a probe to
that copy method in the observer probe.

Am I right about all this?

If so, you might want to fix the heatbugs demo
and also put together an update of manor's little
probe notes.

 -r

Rick Riolo                       address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
1061 Randall Lab     University of Michigan
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
http://pscs.physics.lsa.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html