EZBin problem in 1.0.0 ?

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: EZBin problem in 1.0.0 ?
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 10:13:37 -0500 (EST)

I am having a problem (well, 2 problems) with EZBin in the new Swarm 1.0.0.

To demonstrate the first problem, I changed a copy of the 1.0.0 heatbugs
to just add an EZGraph to it...see the diff below for the changes.

When I run heatbugs, things go fine until I move the cursor onto
(or just pass through) the EZBin graph frame. Then I get on stderr/stdout:
   tkerror failed to handle background error.
    Original error: bad option "W": must be -displayof, -force, or -lastfor
    Error in tkerror: no value given for parameter "title" to "tk_dialog"
I also get a tcl script error dialog box each subsequent time
I move the curson onto or through the EZGraph frame.
Then if I press OK in that error dialog, things carry on fine until
the next time I let the curson go into the EZGraph frame.

I did not have this problem with swarm-961002.
Is it a bug, or was there some change that I've not made that
I should have made.  (or am I doing something wrong that the beta
let me get away with?)

My second problem is that I can't get the EZGraph to print to a file.
Now this may be because I don't know how to do it, because
I've never tried it before...that is, this may not be a problem
new to 1.0.0, it may be a problem with my program.  Here is the
method I invoke to try to get it to print:

-(void) writeEZBinToFile: (char *) fileName {
    fprintf(stderr,"Writing EZBin to file '%s'....\n", fileName );

    [unhappyBin setFileOutput: 1];
    [unhappyBin reset];
    [unhappyBin update];
    [unhappyBin output];
    [unhappyBin setFileOutput: 0];

    fprintf(stderr,"Done writing to file.\n" );
}

The fileName parameter is not used here, so if I have read the
docs right, it should print out to a file with a name equal
to the title I give the EZGraph (its created just as shown
below in the diff, so you can see the title there).
When I send this method to the ObserverSwarm, my messages about
the fileName print on stderr, but no file of data is created.

Am I doing something wrong?

thanks.
 - r

Rick Riolo                       address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
1061 Randall Lab     University of Michigan
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
http://pscs.physics.lsa.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html

The diff between my heatbugs with the EZGraph and 1.0.0 heatbugs:

badger-rlr)diff HeatbugObserverSwarm.m ../heatbugs/HeatbugObserverSwarm.m
164,174d163
<   unhappyBin = [EZBin createBegin: globalZone];
<   [unhappyBin setGraphics: 1]; [unhappyBin setFileOutput: 0];
<   [unhappyBin setTitle: "unHappinessDistribution"];
<   [unhappyBin setAxisLabelsX: "unHappiness" Y: "Count of Bugs"];
<   [unhappyBin setBinNum: 50];
<   [unhappyBin setLowerBound: 0.0];
<   [unhappyBin setUpperBound: 1.0];
<   [unhappyBin setCollection: [heatbugModelSwarm getHeatbugList]];
<   [unhappyBin setProbedSelector: M(getUnhappiness)];
<   unhappyBin = [unhappyBin createEnd];
<
209,211d197
<   [displayActions createActionTo: unhappyBin    message: M(reset)];
<   [displayActions createActionTo: unhappyBin    message: M(update)];
<   [displayActions createActionTo: unhappyBin    message: M(output)];
badger-rlr)diff HeatbugObserverSwarm.h ../heatbugs/HeatbugObserverSwarm.h
33d32
<   EZBin * unhappyBin;