Redhat 4.1 & Swarm

From: Kyle Chuang
Subject: Redhat 4.1 & Swarm
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 1997 06:53:25 -0500 (EST)

It appears that many people are having problems with swarm and Redhat
4.1/RedHat 4.0.

Here's a procedure I got swarm to work with RedHat 4.1 with minimum
hacking on 2 machines etc...

        Here are the current versions of my libraries
        *tk-4.2-2
        *tcl-7.6-2
        *gcc-2.7.2.1-2
        *blt-1.9-5
        libtclbojc-1.1b6

        * - denotes they are redhat rpms that come with the distribution
            that you can choose to install

        Here are the steps I used:
        1.) compiling libtclobjc --  you may have to
            edit one of the Makefile.*  or config to make it ./configure
            properly or you could also just simply put a symbolic link to
            in the /usr/lib directory with the current libtk.* and
            libtcl.*

        2.) compiling swarm -- for some reason or another when you try
            to compile it'll give you a not find Xlib.h
            Solve the problem by doing a "find /usr -name Xlib.h"
            you'll need to symbolically link the directory containing
            Xlib.h  to swarm-1.0.0/include and swarm-1.0.0/inlcude/tkobjc
            as X11 -- that should allow you to compile

        3.) to compile applications:
                1.) find the file init.tcl and link the directory with it to
                    the directory /usr/local/lib/tcl7.5 and find the
                    init.tk and do the same except as tk4.2 (or whatever
                    version the error message gives
                2.) if you get an error as such
                /usr/lib/libtcl.so: undefined reference to`dlerror'
                /usr/lib/libtcl.so: undefined reference to `dlopen'
                /usr/lib/libtcl.so: undefined reference to `dlsym'
                    add -ldl to you Makefile.appl file in the
                    $(APPLICATION) -- allows tcl & tk to dynamically link
                NOTE: This error I encountered first time I got swarm
to work and tired to compile the apps.  Even though it did work, I had
problems of not seeing the graphs, certain, graphics, etc.

                However, in my future installs (i.e. I cleaned out swarm &
                reinstalled it again), I only hit error #1 when compiling
                applications and never hit error #2.  Also, note that I
                symbolically linked my all my lib files instead of
                changing the Makefile, but I don't think that makes a
                difference.

Hope this works & Good Luck,
Kyle