Re: Help: Problems compiling SWARM sample applications.

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: Re: Help: Problems compiling SWARM sample applications.
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 11:56:16 -0700

Craig> I have just succeded in linking and compiling SWARM on a
Craig> solaris 2.5.1 machine. However I am having problems compiling
Craig> the sample applications.  For example, on compiling Heatbugs
Craig> and mousetrap I get the error; make: Fatal error: Don't know
Craig> how to make target '-lspace'
>>  Are you sure variable SWARMHOME is well set in both applications
>> makefile? Try to set it to the directory swarm resides.

c.r.gould> Juan
c.r.gould> Thanks for the response. Unfortunately, as far as I can see
c.r.gould> the SWARMHOME directories are set correctly in all places.
c.r.gould> Any other ideas?

Craig, this usually means that those libraries didn't finish
compiling.  If you cd to the $SWARMHOME/src/space library and
type make in there, it will either try to compile something
(you'll see gcc ....) or it will say "nothing to be done...".
If it tries to compile something, then just wait for Error:
to appear.

If it says "nothing to be done for...." then try checking the
permissions on the $SWARMHOME/lib/libspace.a.  (I doubt this
is the problem.... make obviously thinks that the libspace.a
file doesn't exist... it should be capable of doing this
in spite of the permissions on the file.)

Another option might be the type of "make" you're using.
Do a make -v and see what the output is like.  It should
say something like:

grasshopper[130]% make -v
GNU Make version 3.74, by Richard Stallman and Roland McGrath.
Copyright (C) 1988, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

glen