Re: List: forEach: arg1;

From: Kevin Crowston
Subject: Re: List: forEach: arg1;
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 1997 12:46:17 -0500

>Couldn't you simply have your method take a pointer
>to a double instead of a double (which is easy enough

That seems like a much better idea than mine.

I now remember that my casting of pointers was to store floating point
numbers in Arrays, which also only want to see pointers.  In that case,
storing a pointer to a float wasn't acceptable, since it would require
double the space, the pointers in the Array and the floats themselves
somewhere else.  But it's the same general problem:  most of the Swarm
interals are set up for the general case of a pointer to an object, which
is what the activities mechanism needs, but which is overkill for the
simpler case of a float or double.

>It's useful to know the internal calling conventions to a method, but you
>should avoid referencing the internal, mangled name of a method directly.

I agree completely--but you need to know the internal convention in this
case to decode the error message, which is otherwise completely mysterious.

Kevin