Re: Swarm futures (LONG)

From: Scott Christley
Subject: Re: Swarm futures (LONG)
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 1997 18:37:29 -0800

At 04:11 PM 3/15/97 -0800, Benedikt Stefansson wrote:

>Technically there might also be some differences in implementation
>between Rhapsody and OpenStep, mainly in the GUI (Apple look and feel
>instead of OpenStep look and feel etc.) I.e. another argument in favor
>of a platform independent GUI (read: Java based GUI classes) for Swarm.

I disagree with this slightly because the OpenStep specification really does
not specify the look and feel to a great extant.  It mainly describes the
programmatic interface to the GUI elements, so we have shown quite clear
with GNUstep that programs under Windows look like other Windows programs
and programs under X11 (ie Linux) have a completely different look and feel.
Even we are defining our own look and feel under X11, it is surely possible
to use an existing widget set like Motif.

I also think that sticking with ObjC and utilizing the distributed objects
capability is a definite alternative versus any perceived gain from using
Java.  Distributed objects gives you the capability of putting the
simulation objects on a high-end server while running the GUI interface on a
client.

Scott