SPARCworks debugger

From: glen e. p. ropella
Subject: SPARCworks debugger
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 07:43:59 -0700

Donald Tillman writes:
 > Hi
 > as a swarm newcomer I tried to debug my program using the SPARCworks
 > debugger (version 3.1, SUNsoft). It didn't work, but I am not sure whether I
 > just failed using the debugger correctly, or whether obj-C/swarm programs
 > cannot be debugged using SPARCworks at all. Is the gdb the way to go?

Hey Don,

Well, this depends on what "didn't work" means. [grin]  I've
regularly used "dbx" on both sparc, mips, and alpha platforms
to debug gcc compiled code (either Ada, Fortran [via f2c], or
C); and that usually works well for C and poorly for the other
languages.  But, it should work.  You can trap exceptions and
signals and if you know the internal symbols for the language,
you can even print out certain variables.

But, it's certainly not pleasant.  And I'm sure it's pretty
difficult with ObjC.

So, my recommendation is to get and use gdb.  But, you can probably
do alot of debugging with dbx.  We just got the sparcworks stuff
here at sfi, so I'll probably be looking into using some of the
fancier features, myself.  But, I doubt I'll use it for debugging.

glen