Re: RNG

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: Re: RNG
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 20:43:06 -0500 (EST)

It seems to me that whether its acceptable
to have the RN sequences overlap over different
runs of an experiment will be model dependent.

For example, if the model is going through some
evolution that is generating new mixes of populations
over the course of the runs, the same (sub)sequence of RNs,
when it is used at different times in the runs,
is very unlikely to be used "in the same way,"
i.e., in some way that will introduce undesirable
correlations across the runs.

of course if the sequences are NOT overlapping,
one doesn't have to worry about whether one's
model will not be adversely affected by sharing
subsequences of RNs at different points in runs,
making such RNG's a goal to shoot for.

 - r

Rick Riolo                       address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
1061 Randall Lab     University of Michigan
Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
http://pscs.physics.lsa.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html