Swarm and OpenGL

From: Patrick McNeill
Subject: Swarm and OpenGL
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 22:32:37 -0500

Recently, I've been trying to create a 3d display for my sim using OpenGL
(actually Mesa -- a freeware implementation of OpenGL).  I have code that I
know works (I tested it independently), but when I move it into my
simulation, it stops working.  The window gets generated but is drawn
black.  Then I noticed I was missing the auxMainLoop() call, so I added
that in and everything stops working (actually stalls)...  I'm assuming
that the auxMainLoop triggers some loop in OpenGL that doesn't allow
anything else in the process to run (kind of like the Swarm kernel).  I
have a call to my display function (actually an ObjC message that calls the
display function) in the observer swarm schedule, thinking that would
emulate the auxMainLoop, but I still get an empty window...  If someone out
there knows more about how OpenGL would react to Objective C (and if my
problem is a result) please let me know...  Otherwise I'll just start
digging around the Mesa source code (yuck...)...

Thanks!

-Patrick McNeill
 address@hidden