Re: Swarm and OpenGL

From: Scott Christley
Subject: Re: Swarm and OpenGL
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 09:11:34 -0800

Hello Patrick,

I cannot say about Swarm specifically, but I know that there is no problem
with using OpenGL with ObjC.  We've written an ObjC 3D class hierarchy
(somewhat based upon NeXT's 3DKit) that uses OpenGL as its underlying
rendering engine.  We hope to change it to use Renderman with the Vision
project, but things have been going slow...

Anyways, we found that we could not use the existing aux functions because
they have their own event loop with little ability to interact with other
loops.  This was no good for our purpose because GNUstep handles the event
loops for the complete application, we ended up writing the implementation
similar to NeXT's 3DKit in that each "shape" object has a -render: method
which gets called by the application kit when it should render itself.

Our 3D Library utilizes GNUstep (OpenStep) for its foundation, so we've
shown the exact same program running on Windows NT (with its native OpenGL
suport) and Linux using Mesa.

Scott