Re: Problems with -static and GDB

From: Benedikt Stefansson
Subject: Re: Problems with -static and GDB
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 16:26:51 -0700

Hi Ted,

Your original posting on the GDB patch referes to the GDB.BUG newsgroup,
but I can't find a FAQ or archive for the newsgroup or their bug
patches.

Any chance you could mail the NeXT patch to GDB 4.16 and the fix to the
patch to us again? Some indications on how to apply the patch would also
be greatly appreciated.

Also, I seem to have libm.so but not libm.a. Is it worthwhile to
get/compile  libm.a, and where should I look for that? (I guess I should
know but this black magic with libsomething.so vs. libsomething.a is
still a mistery to me).

Regards,
-Benedikt

The thread for this message follows:

Theodore C. Belding wrote:

> Hi Benedikt-
> Sounds like it can't find libm.a.  Try:
> % find / -name libm.a -print
> and see if it exists.
>
> If you want to use gdb, you should apply the patch I forwarded to
> this
> list a while ago to gdb 4.16 and recompile, to make it understand
> Obj C.
> I'm not sure that'll help in your case, though.
> -Ted
>
> --
> Ted Belding                      <mailto:address@hidden>
> University of Michigan Program for the Study of Complex Systems
> <http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~streak/>
>
> On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, Benedikt Stefansson wrote:
>
> > I have been trying to fool around with adding the -static flag to
> > Makefile.conf in EXTRALDFLAGS, but now the linker won't link the
> app any
> > more. When I use the -static flag I get the following error
> message:
> >
> > ld: cannot open -lm: No such file or directory.

Benedikt Stefansson                 address@hidden
Center for Computable Economics     Tel. (310) 825-1777
Department of Economics, UCLA       Fax. (310) 825-9528
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1477          http://cce.sscnet.ucla.edu