gdb still won't work for me. Please help (again)

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: gdb still won't work for me. Please help (again)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 17:11:06 -0500 (CDT)

When I run gdb, either under xemacs or in a xterm, I get this:
GDB 4.16 (i586-unknown-linux), Copyright 1996 Free Software Foundation,
Inc...
(gdb) run
Starting program: /swarm/tutorial-1.0.1/simpleCBug/bug
warning: Unable to find dynamic linker breakpoint function.
warning: GDB will be unable to debug shared library initializers
warning: and track explicitly loaded dynamic code.
Some programs still run, but they generally don't if I put breakpoints
on things. For example, simpleCBug runs in the debugger after
that warning. However, if I put a breakpoint on  initSwarm, and
try run again, then I see this:

(gdb) break initSwarm
Breakpoint 1 at 0x80af935: file simtools.m, line 26.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /swarm/tutorial-1.0.1/simpleCBug/bug
warning: Unable to find dynamic linker breakpoint function.
warning: GDB will be unable to debug shared library initializers
warning: and track explicitly loaded dynamic code.

Breakpoint 1, initSwarm (argc=1, argv=0xbffffcd4) at simtools.m:26
simtools.m:26: No such file or directory.
(gdb)
The inability to access simtools.m is probably linked to the
warning, isn't it???  If I "step" in gnu, I get repeated "No such
file or directory" errors

This same error has happened on both of my computers that have
Redhat 4.2.

I wonder why you folks don't have it too?? Did you make some
special .gdbinit file to make it work? I look and have no such file,
and can't get directions on what should be in it.

Paul Johnson