Re: gdb still won't work for me. Please help (again)

From: Benedikt Stefansson
Subject: Re: gdb still won't work for me. Please help (again)
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 18:19:23 -0700

Hi Paul,

The behavior you just described for GDB is perfectly normal. If you have a
binary installation of Swarm, GDB won't be able to find the corresponding
code for calls within the Swarm libraries, so for example if you step into
a List or Schedule you end up in a maze of  "No such file or directory"
errors. I prefer the painless installation of the binary to being able to
step through Swarm libs - it is a tradeoff.

I find that the best solution is to use "next" instead of "step", unless I
want to step through my own code. So for example if there is a piece of
code in one of your  agents that says
    for(x=0;x<10;x++) {
        y=[agent getSomething]
        [[list atOffset: x] setSomethingElseTo: y];
   }

once you enter the loop use next to step through the loop, and the call to
list will be silently executed without the annoying "No such file or
directory" message. Then if the [agent getSomething] call involves some
algorithms within the agents you want to step trough you can use step to go
into that part.

Hope this makes sense, bottom line is that your GDB is working. I hope you
have the version that understands Objective-C, if you don't you can
download a binary from

ftp://cce.sscnet.ucla.edu/pub/gdb-objc-4.16/gdb-objc-4.16.i586.linux.ELF.tar.gz

Just untar the binary and put it where your previous gdb binary was
installed, of course after making sure you have a backup of the old one in
case anything goes wrong.

Regards,
-Benedikt
--