re-suggestions of functionality for swarm 1.0.4

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: re-suggestions of functionality for swarm 1.0.4
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 14:09:49 -0500 (EST)

I would like to raise again questions about functionality
that I think would be useful for swarm to have soon.
(these have been raised by me and others in the past.)
Perhaps the swarm team could consider them for including
in 1.0.4?

1. Make it easy to position probes and control panels.
   Currently as best I can tell one must add an accessor
   to get at the top frame (or some such)
   to make this possible (see earlier items to the list
   by sven and me).

2. Make it easy to supply a user-defined method
   that is invoked when a user sets a value via probes.
   This is useful if one wants to re-play a history
   in which the user has changed parameters via probes
   in mid-run, for example.  That is, the programmer
   can supply a custom method that is called when
   a value is changed via the probe, that method
   writing the change to a history file.
   Its also useful if one wants to call some method that
   checks to be sure a newly supplied value is valid,
   e.g., when parameter values are subject to constraints
   that depend on other parameter values.

   I once suggested a hack to do this, but any solution
   that provides the functionality is fine with me.

Are these things that could be done?
Do other people have better ways to achieve these ends?

(Otherwise I have to keep updating my patches to
the basic swarm each time a new version comes out.)

Thanks.
 - r

Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
4068 Randall Lab
University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
Phone: 313 763 3323                  Fax: 313 763 9267
http://pscs.physics.lsa.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html
http://pscs.physics.lsa.umich.edu//pscs.html