Something for everyone! Questions about programming AND installation!

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Something for everyone! Questions about programming AND installation!
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1997 15:32:52 -0600 (CST)

I'm creating a model of majority rule.  In this model, there are
agent/voters who live in a list, and then candidates make promises
and agent/voters report back on which is most suitable.  I'm having
a hard time finding an explanation/example of how to tally the reports
of many such agents in order to determine the majority preference.
Can anyone explain/point me in the direction of an example?

Second, on a dual Pentium II, I have previously limped along with the
binary install. To prove I'm a real scholar (and use debugger!) I am
doing an archive install. Libtclobjc seems to install fine. OUr friend
BLT, on the other hand, is, well, still a problem. (BLT 2.1).

First, when I run ./configure, I get this:
checking host system type... Invalid configuration `i686-unknown-linux':
machine `i686-unknown' not recognized

checking target system type... Invalid configuration `i686-unknown-linux':
machine `i686-unknown' not recognized

checking build system type... Invalid configuration `i686-unknown-linux':
machine `i686-unknown' not recognized

Cool, huh?  I guess I'll go ahead anyway.

Then I patched line 1178 of bltBgexec.c and ran make.  After it whirred
for a while, I got this:
-----------------------------
making BLT demo "bltwish"...
rm -f bltwish
gcc -O3 -fno-strength-reduce -Wwrite-strings -Wshadow -Wtraditional
-fwritable-strings -Wall  -I.   -I/usr/X11R6/include  \
        ./tkAppInit.c -o bltwish ./src/libBLT.a  -L/usr/include/../lib
-ltk4.2 -L/usr/include/../lib -ltcl7.6 -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11  -lm
./tkAppInit.c:29: warning: `rcsid' defined but not used
/usr/include/../lib/libtcl7.6.so: undefined reference to `dlerror'
/usr/include/../lib/libtcl7.6.so: undefined reference to `dlopen'
/usr/include/../lib/libtcl7.6.so: undefined reference to `dlsym'
make: *** [bltwish] Error 1
----------------------------------

I've done the archive install before and I remember something like this,
but I can't recall what to do.  DO you know?  The configuration asks
for lots of ".a" files, but my configuration leads to the .so files, but
it doesn't seem that would be the problem, does it?  If so, I should
add something in the FAQ about it.

Incidentally, can you explain to me what a path like:
   /usr/include/../lib
means?  I don't understand the ../lib part.

Paul Johnson
Making every Linux installation an adventure!

PS. Yesterday I called our academic computing service to ask a question
about networking on my NT/linux system.  The consultant bluntly told me
that I was too far up on the curve for their help, but if I had any
DOS or win95 questions I should be sure to call back.  I wonder
if that happens at other universities?