Re: Swarm 1.1 Available

From: Wengui Su
Subject: Re: Swarm 1.1 Available
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1998 15:39:11 +1100 (EST)

I just install Swarm-1.1 on my PC under win95. The way I did it is:

1. down load CDK.exe from Cygnus, and install it first.
It is a straight forward process. CDK.exe seems including everything needed to
work with swarm(Tcl8.0 etc).
2. Then download Swarm-1.1 for Win95/NT binary distribution. It is also a
straight forward installation process. It has tclobjc, blt and other libraries
used by swarm.
3. replace c:\Cygnus\B19\H-i386-cygwin32\bin\cygwinb19.dll with the one comes
with Swarm under the Swarm directory. Then you can do the compilation for Swarm
library following the instruction in readme file under Swarm. It takes me
several hours to work it out. The main problem for this installation on my
machine is

I couldn't finish the compilation because it freezed my computer in the middle.

Solution: I went to individual compiling processes for each of the
libraries(run
make in defobj, collections etc), and then run the main make under Swarm in
order to copy the library file into the right place. I haven't figure out what
is the reason for screen freezing. But I got the same thing when I mistyped a
command in bash under Cygnus, and so I suspect the problem is due to the Cygnus
and win95. I hope somebody can explain it to me.

Anyway, I succesfully compiled the Swarm libraries, and the heatbugs and
hello-world-v3, and it works fine.

hope this would help

Wengui Su

Department of Geography