Small problem with NT/95?

From: Barry McMullin
Subject: Small problem with NT/95?
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 23:17:38 +0000

I just got the NT/95 distribution working (well ... I got
heatbugs working - havn't tried anything else yet). It
looks great - fine job!

However: I had to solve one small problem along the way.

I do not have either the cdk or swarm in the "standard"
places (cdk is in /sys/gnuwin32/b19 instead of
/cygnus/b19 and swarm is in /sys/swarm instead of
/swarm).  The Installshield handled this more or less OK
(there was one funny - somehow it stuck a ^Y at the
end of the /sys/swarm in the env variables - dunno
why, or if is reproducible; anyway I fixed it manually).

But: I ran into some mysterious problems when making, which
I eventually traced to:

  $(SWARMHOME)/makefile.conf

where I found:

----------

ifeq ($(SETUP),SFI-NT)
SYS=NT
P=/Swarm/packages
CC=gcc
TCLVERS=80
TKVERS=80
BLTVERS=8.0-unoff
OPTFLAGS=-O3 -g
CYG=/Cygnus/B19
CYGSHARE=$(CYG)/share
TCLINCDIR=$(CYG)/include
TCLLIBDIR=$(CYGSHARE)/tcl8.0
TKINCDIR=$(CYG)/include

----------

Yes, you spotted it - hardwired paths for swarm and cdk (:-(

My fix:

----------

ifeq ($(SETUP),SFI-NT)
SYS=NT
P=$(SWARMROOT)/packages
CC=gcc
TCLVERS=80
TKVERS=80
BLTVERS=8.0-unoff
OPTFLAGS=-O3 -g
CYGSHARE=$(CYGFS)/share
TCLINCDIR=$(CYGFS)/include
TCLLIBDIR=$(CYGSHARE)/tcl8.0
TKINCDIR=$(CYGFS)/include

------------

A quick "make clean" and "make" in SWARMHOME then ran through
smoothly; then a make in heatbugs and everything worked
beautifully. Wonderful!

Hope that's useful to somebody,

- Barry.

PS: This is not strictly a swarm thing but ... when I
upgraded my cdk from b18 to b19 (preparatory to installing
swarm) I found that the Win95 tcp/ip utilities (ping,
ftp, tracert, route ...) no longer worked when launched
from bash.  I have a workaround (basically set up aliases
so that they get launched indirectly via command.com),
but I'm curious as to whether anyone else has encountered
this or knows why it's happening...