using Swarm with MkLinux

From: Ted Belding
Subject: using Swarm with MkLinux
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 14:13:47 -0500 (EST)

The main issue with installing and running Swarm on MkLinux
(http://www.mklinux.apple.com/) is getting a version of gcc that
correctly compiles Objective C on Power Macs.  The version of gcc 2.7.x
that comes with MkLinux DR 2.1 does not compile Objective C correctly,
although it claims to.  The how-to guide I sent out a long time ago to
this list describes how to patch that version of gcc so that it does
work with Swarm.

Since then, the gcc 2.7.x that is distributed for MkLinux has been
updated to compile Objective C correctly on the Power Mac, so you
don't need to follow my earlier instructions.  (All versions of gcc
2.8.x and egcs for MkLinux should also work). You can either install
DR 2.1 and the updates for it (I believe the latest update is DR2.1
update 6), or you can wait until the upcoming DR3.0 release.  By doing
either of these, you will get a version of gcc that works with Swarm.
(You can probably run Swarm under an earlier update than update 6, as long
as it includes and is compatible with a version of gcc that compiles
Objective C).  All of the other software that is required for Swarm should
install fine, and some of it is available as RPMs (e.g., Tcl/Tk).

Upgrading from DR2.1 to DR2.1 update 6 requires a bit of downloading
and installing packages, but if this makes you uncomfortable, you
might want to wait until DR3.0 comes out.  Of course if that does make
you uncomfortable you might not want to use MkLinux right now,
especially since it is still under development.  Swarm *should* work
fine, though, once you have a gcc that works and have installed all of the
required packages. If you have trouble after taking these steps, you can
send email to the MkLinux support email lists (see the MkLinux web
site for this and other info).  I belive that the version of gdb 4.16
that is distributed with MkLinux doesn't understand Objective C, but
there are patches available for gdb 4.16 that may work under MkLinux as
well.  The upcoming gdb 4.17 will understand Objective C, I believe.

I'm afraid I can't provide any other information about Swarm on
MkLinux, since I haven't used Swarm on that platform for about a year now.
Again, it should work fine, though.  Hope that helps.
-Ted

--
Ted Belding                               address@hidden
University of Michigan Program for the Study of Complex Systems