[Q] Swarm tutorial, random number generator

From: Norberto Eiji Nawa
Subject: [Q] Swarm tutorial, random number generator
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 15:10:08 +0900

Hello everybody,

I am now following the tutorial written by Chris Langton and available
in Benedikt Stefansson's home page in order to get used to the spirit
of the Swarm package.

One thing that caught my attention is that when running the example
simpleObjCBug2, the bug always finds food in the same places and
following the same path. The distribution of food in the 2D grid
should be random and the bug should perform random walks, so I guess
there is something weird happening in the interaction of the random
number generator libraries and the machine I am using.

I am running the examples in a SunOS 4.1.3_U1 2 machine. I could not
find the include files for the family of functions drand48 here, but
as far as I could see, the Swarm random number generator libs do not
use any external function.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Eiji

--
Norberto EIJI Nawa - Intern student
Evolutionary Systems Department (Dept.6)