Re: Colormap, `createEnd' not implemented ... [Re: your mail]

From: Ken Cline
Subject: Re: Colormap, `createEnd' not implemented ... [Re: your mail]
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 12:52:59 -0400 (EDT)

I wasn't sure if someone had already replied to this, my
mail is sometimes slow.  Anyway...

Pietro,

> "...The solution is obviously that of eliminating the
   createEnd phase..."

Did you mean that you were going to eliminate the call to
`createEnd'?  If that's what you meant then I don't think
that's the best solution.

I think the only reason you get the "`createEnd' not
implemented by protocol" warning is because the Colormap
_protocol_ does not inherit the Create _protocol_.  However,
the Colormap _class_ does inherit from the CreateDrop
superclass, (just like SwarmObjects do) and therefore you
*should* call `createEnd' to complete the creation phase.

If you want to get rid of the warning then just remove the
"<Colormap>" from the declaration of the colorMap variable.
That is, instead of "id <Colormap> colorMap;" you'd only
have "id colorMap;". Of course, by doing that you'll give up
some compile-time type checking.

BTW, with the code shown below there is no need for
splitting the creation, that is you only need the following:

   colorMap = [ Colormap create: [self getZone] ];

That too would probably eliminate the warning message.

Ken.

PS: Its my understanding that now the call to `getZone' may
also be unnecessary since Swarms can now be used as Zones,
is that true?

On Mon, 13 Apr 1998 address@hidden wrote:

>       Hi all,
>
>       compiling the followin lines
>
> //  colorMap = [XColormap createBegin: [self getZone]]; // 1.0.5
>   colorMap = [Colormap createBegin: [self getZone]]; // 1.1
>   colorMap = [colorMap createEnd];
>
>       I obtain the message
>
> ObserverSwarm.m: In function `_i_ObserverSwarm__buildObjects':
> ObserverSwarm.m:119: warning: method `createEnd' not implemented by protocol.
>
>       The solution is obviously that of eliminating the createEnd phase (which
> was working with XColormap under 1.0.5 version), but may be the Colormap
> lacks in inheriting something.
>
>       Yours, Pietro

Ken Cline                             address@hidden
SAIC                                 VOICE (410) 571-0413
Annapolis, MD                          FAX (301) 261-8427