LinuxPPC Install (cont); BLT 8.0; Redhat; .sigs!

From: mparker
Subject: LinuxPPC Install (cont); BLT 8.0; Redhat; .sigs!
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 13:00 -0500 (EST)

Thanks Paul; that worked! For those who don't know, bash doesn't seem
to provide a "setenv" analog, so this is just:

SWARMHOME=/usr/local/swarm-1.1 [Or whatever, and]
export SWARMHOME

To amplify my comments about BLT 8.0: I haven't had any problems with
BLT itself, it was the configuration and installation process that was
a hairball. I ended up moving back to 7.6, 4.2, 2.1, because I
couldn't get BLT 8.0 unoff installed. I'm pretty much a unix sysadmin
newbie, so part of the problem is certainly mine. (And I realize I'm
complaining about a gift horse.) I'm going to revisit this, now that
I know I was on the right track. Someone mentioned that having the
Tcl/Tk source files available was neccesary. I actually got to this
point, but couldn't figure out how to tell the config script where
they were. I even tried moving some of these files to my /usr/include
(I  know, this was a VERY BAD plan) but there are so many paths that
this quickly became a nightmare.

Now I have a completely sordid installation, but everything seems to
work. I'm beginning to agree with those who say that the Redhat
Package Manager is sometimes more trouble than it is worth.
Everything seems to install well, but uninstalling things never seems
to work. (This is a very familiar problem to anyone who has worked in
the Windows world!) It might be better for people to do their own
installations, because at least they would know where everything is
put!

Some other PPC notes... There are actually Tcl and Tk PPC rpm
binaries available at http://www.linuxppc.org, so this was easy; I'm
not sure if the the 8.0 vers are very recent, however... this may
have been part of my problem with BLT 8.0. libtclobjc and libffi
compiled and installed without a hitch, as did Swarm and SwarmApps,
once I got everything else in place. I tried gcc 2.8.1, but got mondo
warnings at compile-time, and seg faults in ./objc/init.c. Please note
that this could be completely a result of installation mistakes or
incorrect settings, and may very well be solved by Paul's tip, but
for now I'm using gcc 2.7.2.1. (Both are also available as PPC rpm
binaries.)

As far as linux ppc installation itself goes, this was a little
tedious, but went smoothly. (I'm running it on a PowerMac 8600/300)
The hardest part was figuring out how to deal with Open Firmware;
I'll be happy to provide hints for anyone who is having trouble with
this. (I also managed to get the latest version of enlightenment
compiled and running.)

Finally, please include a brief sig (or at least your name) in list
postings! Perhaps some people's mail clients can provide them with
info about the original sender, but mine sure doesn't. Many posts to
this list provide no clue (except for content) of who they came from.

-Miles

Miles Parker       The Brookings Institution
mailto:address@hidden  phone: 202.797.6136

>>> OUT.PO."address@hidden" - 4/12/98 6:47 PM >>>

I've seen that one. Try setting SWARMHOME environment variable
to the directory where swarm is.
This problem has been fixed for future releases of swarm.
---Paul E. Johnson                           address@hidden