Re: nil_method (linking duplicate symbols)

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: Re: nil_method (linking duplicate symbols)
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 16:42:12 -0400 (EDT)

Well, for a variety of reasons it never seems to be that simple.

For one thing, there are associated libs (or other programs, eg as) that
often have to be updated and rebuilt.  For another, on hp's at least,
configure never seems to get it all right.  (In part this is complicated
because we often have to support machines running different hpux versions
(for other complicated reasons).

More importantly is version control of gcc and its libs.
We can't just install a new gcc as the /usr/local/bin/gcc because
some users would get a big surprise when something
stopped working, or worse, worked in a different way.
We had this happen when going from one version of gcc to another
with some simex-based hiv models...it took them some time to figure out
what the change was that made the  model behave different
on the test suites for the model.

So we spend a couple of days building it, making sure things
like swarm libs compile with it (then patch some *.h files
in mysterious places in hpux), then install it under gcc-new,
then get all the various users to try it on their own apps
(written in c++ and c often).  Finally get agreement and
move in gcc-new (and libs) into gcc.

- r

Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
4068 Randall Lab
University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
Phone: 313 763 3323                  Fax: 313 763 9267
http://www.pscs.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html