Re: SimCAS work for anybody? Whither Rhapsody?

From: Benedikt Stefansson
Subject: Re: SimCAS work for anybody? Whither Rhapsody?
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 14:04:48 +0200

Miles Parker wrote:

> In any case, the SimCAS beta was ridiculously easy to get running.

I agree. The "beta" that was sent out last week is basically just a demo of the
fact that Heatbugs and Market run, with no documentation of class interfaces
etc. it is hard to test any other aspects of the system.

I also noted a significant difference in performance between Swarm and this
SimCAS, especially GUI operations seem to carry a large overhead  - clicking on
a probe etc. slows the system noticeably, which doesn't seem to be the case in
Swarm.

> btw, did anyone catch the Apple WWDC conference keynote? It looks like Apple
> is basically canning the Rhapsody API and sticking with the Mac Toolbox. This
> _seems_  to mean no mass market yellow box, and no mass-market apple
> sponsored ObjectiveC, but I could be wrong. I guess this may be bad, good, or
> indifferent news, depending on what kind of effect you thought Apple would
> have on ObjectiveC in the first place.

You are not the only one interpreting the keynote in this manner, but note that
Apple states explicitly that Rhapsody is their server, internet and publishing
platform and that MacOS X will be Mach kernel based, containing technologies
from Rhapsody and MacOS. See:
    http://www.apple.com/pr/library/1998/may/11strategy.html

It has been rumored that programmers in Cupertino have demonstrated  MkLinux
and Rhapsody running simultaneously on the same Mach kernel and a similar
integration of MacX and Yellow Box should be possible.

The bad news is we don't know what will be the future of Rhapsody after rel.
1.0 which is due Real-Soon-Now. And MacOS X will use the so-called Carbon APIs
instead of the Yellow Box APIs, which are based on Objective-C.

Some of us hoped that Apple would place it's faith in the Yellow Box as a
long-term set of APIs for Blue Box (MacOS classic), Rhapsody and Yellow Box for
NT/Win98. Using Metrowerks Latitude one could easily develop applications on
Yellow Box using any of the platforms named above and port those apps to any
Unix flavor - in other words Rhapsody + Metrowerks CodeWarrior + Latitude would
be the ultimate development
environment for Swarm.

The good news is that if Rhapsody will be well received this solution is still
quite viable.

The reason for the apparent change in strategy is that the Apple developers
community wanted backwards and forwards compatability - applications for Yellow
Box don't work on MacOS classic, while Carbon based lifeforms will survive on
both.

-Benedikt

Department of Economics, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095-1477, USA
Tel: (310) 825 4126     Fax: (310) 825 9528

4/3-7/1 1998:
Dipartimento di Economia, Universita di Trento, 38100 Trento, ITALY
Tel: +39 (461) 88 22 46 Fax: +39 (461) 88 22 22