Huang's question about createBegin, createEnd, create

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Huang's question about createBegin, createEnd, create
Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 09:31:00 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Everybody:
I think this one is a frequently asked question.  I propose this answer
for your consideration.

The methods  createBegin and createEnd are like "bookends". You can't
have one without the other.  Inside those bookends, you can give commands to
an object that govern its state at the time of creation.

The create method is also in the same class.  It can be used when an object
is to be created, which I think means a memory zone is created, but no options
need to be set and no methods need to be run as  part of the object's creation.

The user can decide between the create method and the createBegin/createEnd
method on the basis of the need to specify creation-time details.

END

On Mon, 8 Jun 1998 address@hidden wrote:

> Why worldRaster's creation is beginning with "CREATE", and foodDisplay is
> with "CREATEBEGIN"?  I would prefer the two notations can be unified, say
> using "CREATEBEGIN"? and also I would expect the worldRaster's creation
> ends with
> [worldRaster createEnd], just foodDisplay's creation does. To do this,
> library providers have to stick to predetermined notations, but I can not
> see there is any difficult to do that.
>
> Dr Xueyue Huang
> Center for Transport Studies
> Imperial College
> address@hidden

Paul E. Johnson                      address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science           http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn
University of Kansas                 Office: (913) 864-9086
Lawrence, Kansas 66045               FAX: (913) 864-5700