plea for using portable objc

From: David Stes
Subject: plea for using portable objc
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 15:37:15 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello, I made a version of Swarm available at

        http://www.can.nl/~stes/compiler.html
        http://cage.rug.ac.be/~stes/compiler.html

that compiles with the POC.  I used tcl/tk 8.0p2 and blt8.0-unoff.

I installed everything (swarm-1.1 and swarmapps-1.1, and the tcl/tk stuff)
under ~/swarm, and a gmake SETUP=poc is now compiling the libraries.

It builds (compiles and links), including the 'heatbugs' example (no
attempt was done for other examples from swarmapps).  Unfortunately, I
still haven't figured out how objects are created in the 'defobj'
subdirectory and I think it would be of interest if this was done using
some of the usual primitives (+alloc/init or simply +new).  I now have the
impression that this is actually not done by sending such messages to
'super'.

The reason why I'm advocating this, is that it then would be easier to
move from one compiler to another.  For example, the POC works on IBM AIX,
and it is likely useful for someone to run 'heatbugs' as compiled with the
POC, even if it were only in 'batchmode' or so.

Anyhow, the files are made available on the web site for those who would
be interested.

David.