Re: tclobj, problem

From: Paul E. Johnson
Subject: Re: tclobj, problem
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 17:33:04 -0500 (CDT)

I've installed it on redhat 5.1.  There is a secret bomb waiting
there, and I was wondering when it would show up!

Redhat 5.1 put the objective c stuff for EGCS in that distribution,
not with the gcc they provide. Hence, to compile tclobjc and swarm,
you have to change the CC line in the make files from gcc to egcs.

I install packages in /swarm/packages now, and the tclobjc is in there.
With redhat5.1 it is nicer because they already have the good tcl/tk,
so you don't have to upgrade that, and most things work as described
in the online faq (http://valinux.pols.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq.html)

Incidentally, the command ./configure --prefix=/swarm/packages/tclobjc-1.3
ended  with a Makefile that looks like this, except I replaced gcc with
egcs:

SHELL = /bin/sh

#### Start of system configuration section. ####

srcdir = .

CC = egcs
RANLIB = ranlib
INSTALL = /usr/bin/install -c
INSTALL_PROGRAM = ${INSTALL}
INSTALL_DATA = ${INSTALL} -m 644
AR = ar
ARFLAGS = rc
MAKEINFO = makeinfo

# directories in which to find the required include files
TCL_INCLUDE_FLAGS =
TK_INCLUDE_FLAGS=
X_INCLUDE_FLAGS = -I/usr/X11R6/include
READLINE_INCLUDE_FLAGS =  # configured to not use readline

TCL_LIBRARY_FLAGS = -ltcl8.0
TK_LIBRARY_FLAGS = -ltk8.0
X_LIBRARY_FLAGS = -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11
READLINE_LIBRARY_FLAGS =  # configured to not use readline

TCLLIBS = $(TCL_LIBRARY_FLAGS) \
        $(READLINE_LIBRARY_FLAGS) -lobjc -lm -lobjc  -lpthread -ldl
LIBS = $(TK_LIBRARY_FLAGS) $(TCL_LIBRARY_FLAGS) \
        $(X_LIBRARY_FLAGS) $(READLINE_LIBRARY_FLAGS) -lobjc -lm -lobjc
-lpthread -ldl

DEFS =  -DHAVE_LIBOBJC=1 -DHAVE_OBJC_MALLOC=1

# All these are optional.  You can redefine CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS and
# INCLUDEFLAGS on the command line however you like.
CFLAGS = -Wall -Wno-implicit -g -O
CPPFLAGS =
INCLUDEFLAGS =

prefix = /swarm/packages/tclobjc-1.3
exec_prefix = $(prefix)

# Installation locations
libdir = $(exec_prefix)/lib
includedir = $(prefix)/include
infodir = $(prefix)/info

#### End of system configuration section. ####

TCLOBJC_VERSION = 1.3

ALL_INCLUDE_FLAGS = -I. -I$(srcdir) $(INCLUDEFLAGS) \
        $(TCL_INCLUDE_FLAGS) $(TK_INCLUDE_FLAGS) \
        $(X_INCLUDE_FLAGS) $(READLINE_INCLUDE_FLAGS)
ALL_CPPFLAGS = $(ALL_INCLUDE_FLAGS) $(CPPFLAGS)
ALL_CFLAGS = $(CFLAGS)
ALL_OBJCFLAGS = $(CFLAGS) -Wno-protocol

# definitions to be passed to subdir Makefile's
MAKEDEFINES = CC='$(CC)' CFLAGS='$(CFLAGS)' CPPFLAGS='$(CPPFLAGS)' \
DEFS='$(DEFS)'

and so forth

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Omar Armas wrote:

> excuse me, this is the same mail that the last one, but with subject.
>
> hi, i'm installing swarm 1.1 in a pc with redhat 5.1.
> my problem is that when i do ./configure to install tclobj-1.3, i get the next
> error:
>

> checking for objc_next_class in -lobjc... no
> You must apply the patch ./gcc.patch to the gcc source dir
> then recompile and install libobjc.a,
> then rerun this configure script.
> address@hidden tclobjc-1.3]#
>

> what can i do to solve this problem?
>

> omar
>

> --
>

> Omar Armas
> http://jlagunez.iquimica.unam.mx/~kaos

University of Kansas                  Office: (913) 864-9086