Initialization

From: Doug Donalson
Subject: Initialization
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 15:29:16 -0700

Hi Swarmites,

   As my simulations have runtimes of 1-3 weeks I am trying to write
procedures
to save the state of the simulation and then restart from the saved
state.  (Not that computers ever go down of course.)

Saving the state is not a big deal (although it will be a big file.)
Restarting
is another problem all together.  After staring at the issue for a while
it seemed
to me that it might be simplest to have a second set of model and
observer swarms
the initialized and created objects from the save file.  I thought I
could select it
like -batch selects a different observer and init files.  So far so
good...

Swarm team, where the heck is init_swarm(), I can't find it!  I thought
I might
patch it, yah right...

Also, I don't suppose swarm is already set up for this sort of thing?  I
know,
when I'm done it will be.

To my fellow practitioners of the dark arts, has anyone else tried to do
this
and if so, what did you do?

Cheers,

   D3

* Doug Donalson                                          * Office: (805)
893-2962
* Ecology, Evolution, and Marine Biology   * Home:   (805) 961-4447
* UC Santa Barbara                                      * email
address@hidden
* Santa Barbara Ca. 93106                           *

*
*   The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that
*   heralds new discoveries, is not "EUREKA" (I have found it) but
*   "That's funny ...?"
*
*       Isaac Asimov
*