Re: `-_I_Using'

From: Roger M. Burkhart
Subject: Re: `-_I_Using'
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 11:20:00 -0500

PV> I switched from swarm 1.0.4 to 1.2 and everything went all right except the
PV> following definition of one of my classes:
PV>
PV>  @interface Founder : SwarmObject < Copy> {

> PV> Queen.m:55: warning: incomplete implementation of class `Founder'
> PV> Queen.m:55: warning: method definition for `-_I_Using' not found
>
> You need to add a phase marker...
>
> @implementation Founder
> PHASE(Using)

The other option is not to use protocols (like Copy) that have the phase
declarations in them, or to use them only in other protocol declarations
but not interface declarations.  We don't currently have any support (or
documentation) of the internal phase machinery used by the defobj,
collections, and activity libraries within user classes.

Protocol declarations on class interface declarations can cause problems
on their own anyway, and I'd be interested in who finds them worth using.
When you reference the protocol on the interface declaration, the compiler
tries to start enforcing that there are methods for every protocol
declaration, and it's not very good at this (for example, it doesn't
treat inheritance as sufficient implementation).  For myself, I don't ever
use protocol declarations on class interfaces just to avoid these problems
with the compiler, even though I know exactly which protocols each class
is implementing.

--Roger