Re: `-_I_Using'

From: Roger M. Burkhart
Subject: Re: `-_I_Using'
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 13:24:48 -0500

> RB> When you reference the protocol on the
> RB> interface declaration, the compiler tries to start enforcing that
> RB> there are methods for every protocol declaration, and it's not
> RB> very good at this (for example, it doesn't treat inheritance as
> RB> sufficient implementation).
>
> Well, we could use -Wno-protocol to get this capability.

That's the same as simply not using them, or using them only as
documentation with no checking.  I assume it also turns off all checking
for use of any protocol declaration (e.g., messages to variables declared
as id <ProtoName>).  We still support protocols for that purpose, although
again without any specific recommendation as to whether they are worth
using.  I use protocol declarations mainly to make sure there is a message
declaration in scope for any message I send, and rely on runtime dispatch
to tell me about sending messages to invalid targets.  But others'
preferences may vary.

--Roger