Re: Saving window positions

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: Re: Saving window positions
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 09:27:43 -0500

At 09:06 PM 7/6/1998 -0700, you wrote:

>ST> If there was a way for our intrepid Swarm programmers to get
>ST> absolute coordinates saved, we wouldn't have to worry about all
>ST> this.
>
>To reiterate, the problem is that a `desk' is private window manager
>data structure -- there isn't a standard interface to get this
>information as there is for geometry.  That means either using a
>private window manager protocol (presumably with some linked-in interface
>library), or handle the window archiving and repositioning entirely using
>the window manager.  For Swarm to support desks, we'd end up needing
>support code specific to each window manager.  Yuck.

Marcus,

since this problem only appears to affect a few linux installations, and my
posted workaround resolves it in a fashion, I guess you can turn your
attention to more pressing and solvable issues ;-)

>Instead, here's an example of desk-aware geometry archiving.  It's for
>Scwm 0.7, a Scheme-based window manager that otherwise resembles
>fvwm2.  http://web.mit.edu/mstachow/www/scwm.html

Thanks for that reference! I'll check it out. (I see that one of the
authors of scwm, Greg Badros, is the very same fellow who created RedHat's
TheNextLevel window manager (an extension to fvwm95), which while nice was
roundly criticized for being hard to understand and configure ...)

Cheers,
Sven