Re: Normal Dist solved

From: Sven N. Thommesen
Subject: Re: Normal Dist solved
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 1998 09:36:13 -0500

At 02:44 PM 7/7/1998 +0200, you wrote:
>Hi all
> I solved my previous problem with Normal Dist.
>The method is
>-alex {
>int result;
>int seed = 25699870;
>id normalDR, randomGeneratorR;
>randomGeneratorR = [PMMLCG1 create: globalZone setStateFromSeed: seed];
>
>normalDR = [NormalDistribution create: globalZone
>setGenerator:randomGeneratorR];
>result =  [normalDR getSampleWithMean: 0 withVariance: 0.5];
>printf (" Normal Value ---> %d\n ", result);
>return self;
>
>}
>
>Is it right?
>The only problem is that the result is ALWAYS 0!! sigh sigh sigh!!!
>Any ideas?
>                       ALEX

The output from a call to getSampleWithMean:withVariance is of type double,
so in your code the double gets cast to an integer. Evidently you hadn't
gotten any values > 1.0 yet. Also, the seed should be an unsigned integer,
different from zero.

We now have the pleasure of being able to tell everyone to RTFM -- since
the Swarm team *finally* produced a Fine Manual ... ;-)

Cheers,
--Sven