Swarm Faq news and quandries

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Swarm Faq news and quandries
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 12:15:05 -0500 (CDT)

There is excellent new material in the FAQ on installing swarm in windows
by D3 and the GCC/glib bug by Steve and Marcus.  If you find anyone
wanting to install Swarm on a windows machine, please point them
at the FAQ.

http://valinux.pols.ukans.edu/~pauljohn/SwarmFaq.html

The online faq is backed up every day by a cron job, so if  something
you think was in there is now deleted, give me a line.

The online SwarmFaq works for some people and not for others.  I'm
trying my best to understand what causes the problems and address them.
The author of Faq_manager has been very eager to help, but I have
to admit that I understand his most recent conclusion, which is that "it works
for you, it works for me, it works for X,Y,Z. I can't see that anything
is wrong."  I'm sincerely sorry to people who have tried and not gotten
it to work.  One problem looks like a cgi-bin flaw that intermittently tells
people they have to be in my account to use the Faq_manager.  One
possibility is that internet explorer is the cause of
problems. As far as I know, all successful users have been Netscape people.

In any case, let's just do this. If you have trouble or just don't want
to look at how to add material, please feel free to just email it to me.
It only takes a few moments to install it into the FAQ (now that I've
gotten rid of that bogus piece of crap version of Netscape distributed
by redhat).  It is no bother to me, in fact I kinda like it that way
because I can control where things are inserted and such.  If you are
using netscape out of a redhat rpm, please be aware there are known
problems with forms (and, in my experience, their errata release did not
fix it). Netscape from the Mozilla company works fine, however.

Paul E. Johnson                      address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science           http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn
University of Kansas                 Office: (913) 864-9086
Lawrence, Kansas 66045               FAX: (913) 864-5700