Re: Problems with a CGI script

From: Perrone Alessandro
Subject: Re: Problems with a CGI script
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 1998 17:36:27 +0100

Hi

>I've been writing some CGI scripts to allow me to interface with my
>simulations and view results on the web, but the sophstication of Swarm
>1.1. is getting me into trouble.
That's very interesting.
I was thinking of doing a similar thing, too.

>It seems that the web server (Apache) executes the CGI script (a Perl
>program) as user nobody. However, when the Perl script calls the Swarm
>simulation (invoking batch mode of course), the program crashes on the
>first invocation of the -create: setC: method in String.m, called by the
>Archiver, line String.m:65. I can't debug this CGI invoked session
>directly of course, but my hunch is that assert() fails because cstring
>is a null pointer, where in this case it should contain the home
>directory of the user. User nobody has a home, but for some reason, in
>this case, the environment variable isn't defined.
Have you tried to "call" the Swarm simulation indirectly, not through the
perl script? Maybe call a file which call the simulation?
In the PerlScript you can "call" a file on your Home directory which has
within a line like this
---
./swarmSimulation -batchmode
--
(of course with x permission).

I thought  to use shell scripts to do the call of the simulation, not the
Perl script. Maybe when you call the simulation, as you say, you loose, for
some reasons, the evironment variable.
Tomorrow I'll try my idea, and then I'll put the result on  this list.
Best regards.
                                ALEX

--
      ,,,,