restarting schedules

From: Chimera
Subject: restarting schedules
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 1998 18:34:35 -0700

I have a "restart model" problem.

Every X number of timesteps, I save the complete state of my system so
that in the event of a system restart, I don't have to start my sim from
scratch.  I have two types of schedules, two synchronous and one
acynchronous.  The two synchronous schedules have different repeat
intervals one for data logging and one for saving the system state. The
asynchronous schedule drives that actual simulation.   Assume that the
system crashes at time 2000.  I read in the system time at last save
(say time 1500), all the global parameters, and then all of the agents
and their times to next event.  FYI my data logging routine is my own,
not Swarm's, so it isn't run from any of the graph routines.

I then "schedule" all the agent events.  With none of the synchronous
schedules activated, the model simply advances to the first asynchronous
event (say time 1500.0134) doing basically nothing, and then starts
executing.  My problem occurs with the synchronous schedules.  They do
not like initial times greater then the repeat interval.  This means
that if I want my repeat interval to be less than 1500 I run into a
problem.  I tried setting the repeat interval to say, 1501, and then
using the first synchronous event to reset the repeat intervals to the
correct size.  I have not gotten this to work at this point.

Is there a way for me to set the overall schedule to some time other
than zero when restarting?  Or is there another way to get around this?
If there is a way within the schedule structure,  I haven't been able to
find it yet.

Cheers?

   D3

BTW:  Ken, thanks for confirming my "%lf" warning.  It was really
beginning to bug me.  Especially because at one point, on my Win98
version, it was working!
* Doug Donalson                 Office: (805) 893-2962
* Ecology, Evolution,           Home:   (805) 961-4447
* and Marine Biology            email address@hidden
* UC Santa Barbara
* Santa Barbara Ca. 93106
*
*   The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that
*   heralds new discoveries, is not "EUREKA" (I have found it) but
*   "That's funny ...?"
*
*       Isaac Asimov
*