Re: Help: Drop objects

From: Chimera
Subject: Re: Help: Drop objects
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 1998 05:28:05 -0700

CL,

   I tried the same thing Marcus did.  I took your code (from the previous
email)
and then made a "Worldstate" object.  The object was nothing more than Counter
from
Template in swarmapps-1.1.
I renamed it and added a memory hog, "double takeUpMemory[500][500]", to it.  I
added a count and a print to main.m so I could see what was going on real time
and
ran it.  I killed it after 100,000 iterations.  There were no problems.  I am
using
Swarm-1.1 on a 400 MHz PC running Win98.  I suggest that you replace your
"Worldstate" with something simple, such as the object I used.  If you still
have
the problem, then it would seem likely that the trouble is machine specific.
You
might want to find a different type of machine and try your code on it.  If the
problem goes away, you might want to post a copy of Worldstate (or if it is
sensitive material, just send it to Marcus) to see if any of us can see what
might
be causing the problem.

Cheers,

   D3

Christian Langer wrote:

> Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
>
> > I think your WorldState object must not be fully freed by the drop.  I don't
> > get a memory leak when I use a simple SwarmObject (and no -buildObjects).
>
> Thank you, Marcus, for your help!
>
> Now I commented the line with the 'buildObjects' message out. But still ...
> the
> bug exists.  :-(
>
> cl
>
> --
>
> _/       _/ _/  _/ _/  _/ Dipl. Inform. Christian Langer
> _/      _/ _/  _/ _/  _/  WHU Otto Beisheim Graduate School of Management
> _/     _/ _/  _/ _/  _/   RWE Chair for Controlling and Logistics
> _/    _/ _/_/_/ _/  _/    Burgplatz 2, D-56179 Vallendar, Germany
> _/ _/_/ _/  _/ _/  _/     Tel. +49 261 6509-275  Fax: -188
> _/_/_/ _/  _/ _/  _/      email: address@hidden
> _/ _/ _/  _/  _/_/        homepage: http://www.whu-koblenz.de/control

* Doug Donalson                 Office: (805) 893-2962
* Ecology, Evolution,           Home:   (805) 961-4447
* and Marine Biology            email address@hidden
* UC Santa Barbara
* Santa Barbara Ca. 93106
*
*   The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that
*   heralds new discoveries, is not "EUREKA" (I have found it) but
*   "That's funny ...?"
*
*       Isaac Asimov
*