question regarding muliple compilations (for -g vs -O3)

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: question regarding muliple compilations (for -g vs -O3)
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 09:31:13 -0400 (EDT)

Now that swarm-1.3 uses a new configure/make process,
what is the best way to have two swarm compilations,
one (the default) with -g for debugging), and another
(without -g and -O3 say) to run smaller and fast?
And of course what I would like is to have just one src for
both versions.

Could I:
- have /s/Swarm/swarm-1.3 for the default version,
  including storing the source there, and
- have another directory /s/Swarm/swarm-1.3-opt
  which doesn't have source but in which I run my configure
  and make script using:
     --srcdir=/s/Swarm/swarm-1.3
     --prefix=/s/Swarm/swarm-1.3-opt
  to have it build libs, includes, etc, for my optimization version?

If that works, what is the best way to tell the opt version
to use -O3 instead of -g ?
Maybe I just need
   make SHELL=/usr/local/bin/bash CFLAGS=-O3
to override the CFLAGS?

Thanks for the advice.
 - r

Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
4477 Randall Lab
University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
Phone: 734 763 3323                  Fax: 734 763 9267
http://www.pscs.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html