Re: question regarding muliple compilations (for -g vs -O3)

From: Paul Johnson
Subject: Re: question regarding muliple compilations (for -g vs -O3)
Date: Tue, 08 Sep 1998 10:04:18 -0500

Dear Rick:

I may be in Michigan for a meeting around Oct. 9 and would like  to meet
you. Are you planning to be in town?

I would not presume to tell you anything about computing, but I've done
what
you are describing.  Swarm (now) does not care where your source is or
even
if you have it, so I install one time with a configure statement like
this

./configure --prefix=/home/pauljohn/swarmshared

and I build with the defaults--shared libraries and such.  Then to run
against
that stuff I have to set LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include its
/home/pauljohn/swarmshared/lib
and fix the makefiles in swarmapps.

To be completely safe, sometimes I just erase the source directory and
untar it again.
But Alex says that  "make distclean"  ought to get the job done.  (I like
"make clean" too, for fun)
and  do
./configure --prefix=/home/pauljohn/swarmsmallfast

And then to tweak the compiler flags on my system I do some variant of:

make CC=egcs CFLAGS="-O6 -mpentium -ffast-math -march=pentium
-malign-loops=2 -malign-jumps=2 -malign-functions=2 -Wall"

I don't know why you wouldn't just change the numbers.

The only really bad think is you have to keep remembering to change the
environment LD_LIBRARY_PATH
to point to the installed libs directory.

Rick Riolo wrote:

> Now that swarm-1.3 uses a new configure/make process,
> what is the best way to have two swarm compilations,
> one (the default) with -g for debugging), and another
> (without -g and -O3 say) to run smaller and fast?
> And of course what I would like is to have just one src for
> both versions.
>
> Could I:
> - have /s/Swarm/swarm-1.3 for the default version,
>   including storing the source there, and
> - have another directory /s/Swarm/swarm-1.3-opt
>   which doesn't have source but in which I run my configure
>   and make script using:
>      --srcdir=/s/Swarm/swarm-1.3
>      --prefix=/s/Swarm/swarm-1.3-opt
>   to have it build libs, includes, etc, for my optimization version?
>
> If that works, what is the best way to tell the opt version
> to use -O3 instead of -g ?
> Maybe I just need
>    make SHELL=/usr/local/bin/bash CFLAGS=-O3
> to override the CFLAGS?
>
> Thanks for the advice.
>  - r
>
> Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
> Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
> 4477 Randall Lab
> University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
> Phone: 734 763 3323                  Fax: 734 763 9267
> http://www.pscs.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html

Paul E. Johnson                      address@hidden
Dept. of Political Science           http://lark.cc.ukans.edu/~pauljohn
University of Kansas                 Office: (913) 864-9086
Lawrence, Kansas 66045               FAX: (913) 864-5700