Re: static vars

From: donalson
Subject: Re: static vars
Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 15:59:31 -0700

Marcus,

  Since you and I agree on that, I have to believe that there is something
weird in Cygnus.
I moved the static vars to the "h" file as part of the object def (just a
different way of making a static.)
(Note I no longer declaired than static.)  The result was that my program
quit running, ie all the initialization worked, but the schedule never
started.  I finally discovered that I could get it to work only if I did a
"make clean" before remaking it.  This is particullarly odd because those
variables are never referenced outside the object itself, and there are no
other variables even close to that name anywhere else in the program.

Oh well...

Cheers,

D3

Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

> D3> I thought that static meant that when the method was used, "old"
> D3> would contain the previous values of "new".
>
> The elements in `old' should each retain their last assigned value.

* Doug Donalson                 Office: (805) 893-2962
* Ecology, Evolution,           Home:   (805) 961-4447
* and Marine Biology            email address@hidden
* UC Santa Barbara
* Santa Barbara Ca. 93106
*
*   The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that
*   heralds new discoveries, is not "EUREKA" (I have found it) but
*   "That's funny ...?"
*
*       Isaac Asimov
*