Re: static vars

From: Rick Riolo
Subject: Re: static vars
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 07:06:30 -0400 (EDT)

I can't really tell for sure what you did from your description,
but the symptoms ("moved one thing from here to there, then
it only worked after a make clean") sounds like a case
where addressing gets messed up.
You say you:
   > I moved the static vars to the "h" file as part of the object def (just a
   > different way of making a static.)
Do you really mean you put it in the class definition?
If so, perhaps some other class has knowledge/use of that class,
and you don't have the dependencies correct in your Makefile.
So on the first make, you re-made your object, changing
the underlying structure size, instance variable locations, etc.
But that other object didn't get re-made, and when it accesses
the object it gets screwed up.
And so the re-make fixed it.
Note other files don't need to know about that variable you moved,
just know about and use that class.

As I said, its just a guess from the symptoms you list.

Regarding your first report, of it not working as expected
when declared static in the method, I couldn't tell exactly
what the problem was from what you showed.
Did you mean that after you did the loop assigning from new
to old that if you did a printf of old right then
that it did not have the new values?

  - r

Rick Riolo                           address@hidden
Program for Study of Complex Systems (PSCS)
4477 Randall Lab
University of Michigan         Ann Arbor MI 48109-1120
Phone: 734 763 3323                  Fax: 734 763 9267
http://www.pscs.umich.edu/PEOPLE/rlr-home.html