Re: Q. Swarm 2.0

From: Marcus G. Daniels
Subject: Re: Q. Swarm 2.0
Date: 12 Feb 1999 09:51:42 -0800

NC> I'm curious to whether Swarm 2.0 for Java will be a port of the
NC> entire Swarm toolkit to Java or only replacing tcl/tk with Java's
NC> Swing.

Neither.  The goal is to have a number of language bindings for Swarm,
with Java being the highest priority.  Developers that want to
see nothing but Java will see nothing but Java.

For 2.0, the way we will connect Java and Swarm will be with the Java
Native Interface (JNI), all in the same address space.  Following 2.0
we will add a clean way to do remote, inter-language method invocation
(probably with a formal notion of a Swarm server) and pure link-level
Java/Objective C integration for performance.